Donkey Skin: Demy’s Fairy-Tale Worlds
By Anne E. Duggan
Insomnia: Unbearable Lightness
By Jonathan Romney
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg: A Finite Forever
By Jim Ridley
• Film is dead again.
• Bordwell on the new horror aesthetic
• On Trial with Orson Welles
• Shohei Imamura gets real.
• Scorsese goes to war.
• Don’t forget Lincoln the younger.
• A last-minute fix from Hitch
• Paul Morrissey feeling the heat again
• What is twenty-first-century criticism?
• Leos Carax, genuine cinema mystery man
• Robert De Niro looks back.
• Remembering the Merchant Ivory music man
• Hoberman on a “forgotten genius of American cinema”
• New angles on familiar faces