Writes Al Reinert, director of For All Mankind: “Having your film in the Criterion Collection is like marrying your daughter into an old distinguished family that intimidates and humbles you. She might feel at home there, but I am inclined to stand in a corner and drink steadily. There were some friendly faces that brought back happy memories, though.”
1. This was my story for years. Sigh.
2. I was at the last Sex Pistols show (in San Antonio) and lived for months at the Chelsea Hotel, so this was nearly my story.
3. I have always loved heist movies, don’t ask me why, and this is the best.
4. The first movie that completely blew my mind.
5. A movie that still blows my mind.
6. Because my wife loves this movie.
7. The most beautiful movie I’ve ever seen.
8. If you watch this back-to-back with 2001, it will show you why “the space race” was a politicians’ game that demeaned the dream.
9. From the glory days of sci-fi, still innocent and fun.
10. Because I’m an old hippie.