Unknown Pleasures, Berlin’s American Independent Film Festival programmed by Hannes Brühwiler and Andrew Grant (full disclosure: they’re friends), has announced the lineup for its ninth edition, running from January 12 through 28 at the Kino Arsenal and WOLF.
Not only is Stephen Cone’s Princess Cyd (image above) opening this year’s edition, but a special program dedicated to his work also includes The Wise Kids (2011) and Black Box (2013) with Josephine Decker.
Cousin Bobby (1992) will be screened as a tribute to the late director Jonathan Demme.
- Sean Baker’s The Florida Project
- Albert Birney and Kentucker Audley’s Sylvio
- Dustin Guy Defa’s Person to Person
- Kevin Jerome Everson’s Tonsler Park
- Eliza Hittman’s Beach Rats
- Aaron Katz’s Gemini
- Kogonada’s Columbus
- Ashley Sabin and David Redmon’s Do Donkeys Act?
- Rob Tregenza’s Gavagai
- Travis Wilkerson’s Did You Wonder Who Fired the Gun?
And Terrence Malick’s Voyage of Time: Life’s Journey (2016) finally arrives in Germany. Unknown Pleasures will be presenting the ninety-minute version narrated by Cate Blanchett.
For news and items of interest throughout the day, every day, follow @CriterionDaily.