- United Kingdom
- 101 minutes
- Black and White
The Householder is the story of a shy, young, underpaid Delhi schoolteacher (Shashi Kapoor) who marries and then, little by little, gets to know his young wife, Indu (Leela Naidu), during their first year together. She is a charmer with a mind of her own, yet is as unprepared for marriage as he. This landmark film marks the first collaboration between producer Ismail Merchant, director James Ivory, and screenwriter Ruth Prawer Jhabvala (adapting her acclaimed novel for the screen), who’s maintained a productive artistic relationship for forty years and produced many award-winning films.
- High-definition digital transfer
- The Sword and the Flute (1959), director James Ivory’s second documentary short film, about Indian miniature painting
- The Creation of Woman (1960), the first short film produced by Ismail Merchant, starring legendary Indian dancer Bhaskar Roy Chaudhuri
- Conversation with the filmmakers, part of a new series of interviews with Ismail Merchant, James Ivory, Shashi Kapoor, and Saeed Jaffrey
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Nobody has written any notes about The Householder yet. Write the first by adding it to your Collection or Wish List.