- India, United States
- 120 minutes
- Black and White
Elegiac and atmospheric, Shakespeare Wallah was the feature film that really put Merchant Ivory Productions on the international movie map. Starring Shashi Kapoor, Madhur Jaffrey, and a young Felicity Kendal, the film is inspired by the real-life adventures of Ms. Kendal’s family as a traveling theater group in India during the final days of English colonial rule. The Buckingham Players try to uphold British tradition by staging Shakespeare plays for the general public, boarding schools, and local royalty, but are unable to compete with the wildly popular Bollywood film industry.
- New high-definition digital tranasfer, enhanced for widescreen televisions
- The Delhi Way (1964), a short documentary by director James Ivory about the city of Delhi
- Conversation with the filmmakers, part of a new series of interviews with Ismail Merchant, James Ivory, Shashi Kapoor, and Felicity Kendal
- Original theatrical trailer
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Nobody has written any notes about Shakespeare Wallah yet. Write the first by adding it to your Collection or Wish List.