A Series of Flashbacks
By Peter Cowie
Marvelous Images from Marketa Lazarová
Did You See This?
What’s Happening on Hulu
Repertory Pick: Marriage Punjabi Style
• A history of the never land of Nikkatsu • See you at the drive-in. • Will this new bar have a happy hour? Read more »
• A rare Hitchcock photo film • Fitzcardboardaldo—the title doesn’t do it justice. • A tip of the hat and a fist in the pocket to Lou Castel Read more »
• It’s a Richard Linklater kind of week: chatting with the man today . . . • . . . and yesterday (in 1995, with Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke) • Plus, another nineties revival: Dazed and Confused 2? Read more »
• Noah Baumbach talks Frances Ha. • Richard Linklater goes back to Before. • Far from Heaven is stage-bound. Read more »
• J. Hoberman bids farewell to Taylor Mead, original underground star. • The Chaplin fan club, youth chapter • Terry Gilliam unleashed Read more »
• Max von Sydow goes to L.A. • The Game, for “real” • The Blob, for real Read more »
• Mapping out the world of Wes Anderson • Cannes 2013—and away we go! • Kurosawa, Godard, Herzog, Milius—just your average hangout Read more »
• James Ivory on the late Ruth Prawer Jhabvala • So that’s what Glenda Jackson’s been up to. • A cutting lesson from the master of suspense Read more »
• Words for the great Roger Ebert: Carson, Edelstein, Emerson • When Kenneth Turan met Burt Lancaster • Alain Delon’s effortless style Read more »
“I'll be looking forward to reading these. Peter Cowie has always been one of the best authorities on cinema. ”
Mark R. Young on A Series of Flashbacks, 5 minutes ago.
“woops should read, Jansco”
oz-rob on Marvelous Images from Marketa Lazarová, about 2 hours ago.
“ This Exciting release has been available for six years from Second Run in the UK also available are a couple of other films by this great Czech director most notably Valley of the Bees another medieval . . .”
oz-rob on Marvelous Images from Marketa Lazarová, about 4 hours ago.
“Do bee boo wap wap say what yeah!”
Gord on Repo Man: A Lattice of Coincidence, about 6 hours ago.
“Jordan's masterpiece, in my opinion. A film of quiet, almost endless fascination, beautifully realized on every technical level and animated by Hoskins' masterful, multi-layered performance. ”
George Potter on Mona Lisa, about 6 hours ago.
SIGN UP to receive info on new releases, Top 10 lists, contests, giveaways, and special offers
The Criterion Collection © 2013 About Us Contact Us Janus Films
Join us on: Facebook Twitter Tumblr YouTube