Ozu and Setsuko Hara By Donald Richie
Ikiru Many Autumns Later By Pico Iyer
Dont Look Back: Everybody Loves You for Your Black Eye By Robert Polito
• A new angle on Bergman’s dance of death
• Another look at Easy Rider’s America
• Their own medicine: Ranking the great film critics
• Frank Rich takes on politics in recent cinema.
• Hizzoner, film critic
• Carving out a niche for Chaplin
• Geoffrey O’Brien on Alexander MacKendrick
• Gay cinema—how far has Hollywood really come?
• Scorsese takes an interest in the New York Review of Books.
• Bogdanovich digs up more Hitchcock notes . . .
• . . . and the BBC unearths new Hitchcock drollery.