Did You See This?
What’s Happening on Hulu
It Happened One Night: Screwball Comedy?
Repertory Pick: Harold Lloyd Gears Up
Downtown Screwball: A Conversation Between Farran Smith Nehme and Molly Haskell
• The best animated films of all time • Olivier Assayas, David Cronenberg, Mike Leigh, and others going to Cannes • Our Frances Ha essayist dances off with a Pulitzer! Read more »
• Olivia de Havilland on Mickey Rooney—one Hollywood legend remembers another. • Neal Gabler on a truly inspiring Hollywood honcho • A new retrospective expands the horizons of documentary. Read more »
• Harvey Milk commemorated • The great movie critic James Baldwin • Seriously beef up your Orson Welles memorabilia. Read more »
• German poster gorgeousness • Looking back at a classic Chris Marker book • Abel Ferrara solves the Pier Paolo Pasolini mystery? Read more »
• Serious laughs • A new videographic journal • A boundary-busting festival Read more »
• A Felliniesque life • A primer on African-American movie history • Errol Morris on the resuscitated A Brief History of Time Read more »
• Building Wes Anderson’s Hotel, and finding his Easter eggs • Awarding Chris Marker and Alain Resnais • Exploring early Fritz Lang films Read more »
• Billy Crystal remembers Sid Caesar. • Paolo Sorrentino talks Oscars and more. • Behind the scenes with Stanley Kubrick Read more »
• Naked Lunch and other adaptations of the unadaptable • David Bordwell on the great critics of yore • The Hitchcock-Nabokov collaboration that never was Read more »
• Weekend’s Andrew Haigh comes to HBO. • At the Oscars, more is less, says Mark Harris. • The Big Apple, Scorsese-style Read more »
• A Hoop Dreams oral history • Martin Scorsese and Wong Kar-wai—two legends chatting • Thelma Schoonmaker goes long. Read more »
• Reminiscing about Spalding Gray • The Little Tramp is turning 100. • For Dennis Cooper’s birthday, the beauty of Robert Bresson Read more »
• Being Judith Anderson • A directors’ roundtable with Steve McQueen, Spike Jonze, and others • Godard’s coming attractions Read more »
• Farran Smith Nehme on Joan Fontaine • David Thomson on Peter O’Toole • The Great Beauty deserves the award for best-dressed. Read more »
• Liv and Ingmar, together again on the big screen • The spooky luster of The Night of the Hunter • Charade turns fifty . . . Read more »
• The truly lost art of silent cinema • Pascal Dangin, Frances Ha’s secret weapon • Behind film’s ultimate preservation society Read more »
• Living Criterion covers • A lengthy detour with Edgar Ulmer • Re-creating Babette’s feast Read more »
• Catching up with Nashville’s Ronee Blakley • Visit Being John Malkovich’s 7 floor. • Agnès Varda selects. Read more »
• Adèle Exarchopoulos gets intimate on Charlie Rose. • Film Comment turns fifty! • Geoffrey O’Brien on Barbara Stanwyck Read more »
• Time out with Richard Linklater in a new video essay. • J. Hoberman on high art • Sketching Persona Read more »
• A trailer for The Great Beauty • The late Lou Reed’s new film • Why Halloween is the best movie holiday Read more »
• Stop, thief! • Dave Kehr goes to MoMA • Get to know your Tom Allen Read more »
We couldn’t resist sharing this Fandor interview with Pier Paolo Pasolini actor Ninetto Davoli. Read more »
• Wes takes Budapest. • Out of time with Chungking Express • Les placards du Godard Read more »
• Good-bye to the redoubtable Stanley Kauffmann • Remembering Kumar Pallana • Searching for Satyajit Ray in Kolkata Read more »
• Guillermo del Toro goes to Springfield and enters a Cabinet of Curiosities. • Call Lena Dunham—there’s a new girl in town. • The art of the vamp Read more »
• Baby making • Chronicle of an unsung documentarian • The Pope loves Fellini! Read more »
• J. Hoberman revisits Shock Corridor. • Watercoloring the movies • Donald Richie to be honored Read more »
• John Bailey on game-changing movie cameras • Venice love from Claire Denis, Abbas Kiarostami, and sixty-eight others • John Le Carré takes on the world. Read more »
“I got my replacements today. I too hope that the other defective-disc issues are addressed soon. Now I'm gonna go play these to make sure they're OK.”
WEST on Exchanging Defective Discs, about 13 hours ago.
“Profound Desire of the Gods is one of the most amazing movies I've seen; I'm desperately hoping you guys'll release that one on blu-ray. Naked Island too.”
Grethiwha on What’s Happening on Hulu, 1 day ago.
“We need this on blu ray. Immediately.”
jmiller on What’s Happening on Hulu, 2 days ago.
“With the beginning of this months Barnes and Noble Criterion sale I've ventured into more than one Store to find that some of the originally thick packed DVD titles such as The Golden Age of . . .”
NOTADIRECTOR on Re: Format, 3 days ago.
“Has anyone taken note on whether the new disc is differentiated from the originals? Does it say "Second Printing" or anything of the like?”
Danny on Exchanging Defective Discs, 3 days ago.
SIGN UP to receive info on new releases, Top 10 lists, contests, giveaways, and special offers
The Criterion Collection © 2013 About Us Contact Us Janus Films
Join us on: Facebook Twitter Tumblr YouTube